Barnstable County is…Cape Cod.


Please note: The Regional Government, Barnstable County, is a separate entity from the Trial Court of Massachusetts. For more information on the Court system and other state agencies, please visit the The Massachusetts Trial Court System or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website.

Tax Assessment/Property Tax Information
Marriage License/Birth Cerificates/Death Cetificates
Beach Stickers/Off-road Permits
Starting/Relocating a Business 
Record a Deed/Transact Business on Real Property
Information on wills, estates, divorce decrees, etc. 
Where can I get Tax Assessment/Property Tax information?

Each town in Barnstable County has its’ own tax assessor/tax collector, sets their own assessment rates for all real property within their town, and collects the assessed taxes. When assessing taxes, the properties will be identified by the physical address, which lists the village where the property is located (i.e. Hyannis is a village in the Town of Barnstable; Pocasset is a village in the Town of Bourne). If you do not see the town listed below, please go here for a comprehensive list of each town and its’ villages. Below is a telephone listing for each town assessor’s office:

Barnstable 508-862-4054
Bourne 508-759-0651
Brewster 508-896-4502
Chatham 508-945-5108
Dennis 508-760-6136
Eastham 508-240-5919
Falmouth 508-495-7370
Harwich 508-430-7501
Mashpee 508-539-1400 xt 525
Orleans 508-240-3700 ext 420
Provincetown 508-487-7015
Sandwich 508-833-8012
Truro 508-349-7004 ext 14
Wellfleet 508-349-0307
Yarmouth 508-398-2231 xt 233

Where can I get information on Marriage Licenses and Birth/Death Certificates?

Each town in Barnstable County has its’ own town clerk that records marriage licenses and birth/death certificates.  Below is a telephone listing for each town clerk’s office:

Barnstable 508-862-4044
Bourne 508-759-0600
Brewster 508-896-4506
Chatham 508-945-5101
Dennis 508-760-6112
Eastham 508-240-5900
Falmouth 508-495-7360
Harwich 508-430-7516
Mashpee 508-539-1400
Orleans 508-240-3700
Provincetown 508-487-7013
Sandwich 508-888-0340
Truro 508-349-7004
Wellfleet 508-349-0301
Yarmouth 508-398-2231

Where can I get Beach Stickers, including off-road vehicle permits?

Please contact the town hall in whichever town the beach/recreation area is located. For a list of each town website go here , then look for the Recreation Department.
If you are interested in off-road permits for Sandy Neck, you should visit either the town of Sandwich or Town of Barnstable website, as Sandy Neck encompasses both towns. Which town office you require is determined by the town in which you reside.
If you are requesting permits for the National Seashore, information is available by contacting Oversands Vehicle Information office at 508-487-3698.

I am interested in starting or relocating a business in Barnstable County. Where do I get the necessary permits?

Each town in Barnstable County maintains their own business licensing department. Please contact the town hall in which the property is located. For a list of each town website go here. You would want to contact the Town Clerk for permitting information.

Where would I record a deed or transact business on real property?

You want the Registry of Deeds, a department of the Barnstable County Government.

Where can I find information on wills, estates, divorce decrees, etc.?

You need to contact the Probate Court, part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts court system. The phone number for Probate Estates/Divorce is 508-375-6710 or visit the website